Harry is waiting in Privet Drive. The Order of the Phoenix is coming to escort him safely away without Voldemort and his supporters knowing – if they can. But what will Harry do then? How can he fulfil (sic) the momentous and seemingly impossible task that Professor Dumbledore has left him with?
Doesn't that sound like the question of the week? "What will Harry do then?"
For those who don't get enough of the conspiracy theories and sinister happenings in DC - you can click here to answer the question "Does Harry Die at the End of Deathly Hollows?"
Western Senate Races Forming:
- NM:New Mexico Senator Pete Domenici may face a primary challenge from the right, according to Joe Monahan.
- MT: In Montana, the NRSC may have found a challenger to take on Finance Chairman Max Baucus (D) in Bob Keenan.
Is there a Deeper Meaning behind Harry's Hogwart Adventures?
In countries around the world, it captures various national anxieties about contemporary culture and international affairs. French intellectuals, for example, debate whether or not Harry Potter indoctrinates youngsters into the orthodoxy of unfettered market capitalism. Some Swedish commentators decry what they perceive as Harry Potter's Anglo-American vision of bourgeoisie conformity and its affirmation of class and gender inequality. In Turkey, we find a significant discussion of Harry Potter that pivots around issues of Turkish civilizational identity: whether Turkey is part of the West, the East, or a bridge between the two. A few Turkish writers have even asserted that controversies over Harry Potter in the United States demonstrate how Turks are more "Western" than Americans. And in Russia, a country whose concern over international status and prestige becomes more apparent each day, the newspaper Novaya Gazeta created a minor firestorm when it claimed that the film visage of Dobby the House-Elf was a deliberate insult to President Vladimir Putin.
The Order of the Pheonix - You Gotta Have Progressive Friends :
- 21st Century Democrats, a DC-based organization dedicated to electing progressive Democrats across America, endorsed Darcy Burner in her campaign to oust Rubber Stamp Reichert in WA-08. If you aren't familiar with the 21st Century Dems, check them out. I know they're work - they were implementing a 50-State Strategy long before it was "cool." Also of note, Darcy is definitely going to have a primary fight, as recent-GOP convert Rodney Tom declared his candidacy this week.
- The Progressive Blogosphere continues to grow, with the addition of Nevada's My Silver State, an online gathering place for Nevada's progressive community. They've got a great post up this week about who is winning the "clicking" battle - check it out.
You mean to tell me she's known how this ends all along(wikipedia)?
Rowling completed the book while staying at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh in January 2007, and left a signed statement on a marble bust of Hermes in her room which read: "JK Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this room (652) on 11 January 2007". She has stated that the final volume relates very closely to the previous book in the series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, so much so that the two books are "almost as though they are two halves of the same novel."Prior to completing the manuscript, Rowling stated that she could not change the ending of the book, even if she wanted to. "These books have been plotted for such a long time, and for six books now, that they're all leading a certain direction. So, I really can't."(wikipedia)
Alaska - More Corruption & Lunacy in The Land of the Midnight Sun
- AK-AL:AK Rep Don Young threatened his fellow GOP Congressional colleagues over earmarks this week. "You want my money, my money," Young stridently declared before warning conservatives that "those who bite me will be bitten back." Think Progress has the video of the entire floor rant.
- DCCC Recruiting News: Ethan Berkowitz recently spent four days in DC discussing a race to take on embattled King of Pork Alaska Rep. Don Young.
- AK-Sen: Being the target of multiple investigations seems to be finally catching up with Alaska Sen. "Tubes" Stevens whose approval ratings are amongst the lowest of his long career. While he acknowledges being concerned about his relection chance, Stevens somehow believes these ethical and criminal probes actually makes him a more effective legislator. Say what?
- Et tu, Lisa?Alaska sends three officials to DC - all Republicans - and with the news that Sen. Lisa Murkowski may have benefited from a land deal - ALL THREE now have ethical questions swirling around them.
Harry must destroy all of Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes before Voldemort can be defeated. Dumbledore believed there were a total of six, and that two so far have been destroyed (the Gaunt ring and Riddle's diary). It is possible that the locket has been destroyed as well, but this is not yet confirmed. (wikipedia again)
Silver State Snippets:
- In Vegas, Rep. John Porter seems to have more than attorney Daska's candidacy on his mind. Is he worried Andre Agassi might mount a challenge? Why allow the GOP attack machine to single out funding for Agassi's charter school?
- Nevada GOP Governor Jim Gibbons thinks the Democratic presidential candidates are wasting their time by campaigning this early in the Silver State. Nevada is currently second in line in the Dem nominatin process (the caucuses scheduled between the Iowas caucus and New Hampshire primary).
You think it's hot in Baghdad in August?
- The group Americans Against Escalation in Iraq are in the midst of the "Iraq Summer" - unlike the vacationing Iraq parliament - turning up the heat on Congressmen & Senators at home. DKos frontpager Meteor Blades has an interview with the leaders. (Note to Harry - next time you pull an all-nighter, turn off the AC. That'll get 'em to allow an "UpperDown" Vote!)
Dems asleep at the wheel?
- AZ-01: Rick Renzi, whose home and office has been raided by the FBI has spent huget amount on legal fees and has less than $20K CoH at the start of July. Rumors abound he may be forced from office long before the November elections. This is a prime pick-up opportunity where Dems outnumber Republicans. But, the closest competitor in the money race has less than $5K in the bank! Democrats need to be ready to win here.
Muggle Mulligans (campaign rematches):
- As the 2008 House and Senate races come into focus this summer, it's clear there are going to be quite a few rematches of 2006 contests. CQPolitics has a complete list.
News about Muggle Moms
- This WaPo story "Mom's in the House, With Kids at Home" provides a closer look at the challenges facing the ten House moms with kids under the age of 13.
News about Lily Potter, Harry's Mum:
Now, the important thing about Harry's mother - the really, really significant thing - you're going to find out in two parts. You'll find out a lot more about her in book five, or you'll find out something very significant about her in book five, and you'll find out something incredibly important about her in book seven.
—– J. K. Rowling